Vivaldi browser is a freeware, cross-platform web browser developed by Vivaldi Technologies. It has a minimalistic user interface with basic icons and fonts and, an optionally color scheme that changes based on the background and design of the web page being visited.
Features of Vivaldi browser
- It has a built-in ad blocker, pop-up blocker, and tracker blocker. It helps block intrusive ads and makes the browser much faster which many users want.
- It comes with a built-in email client with IMAP and POP3 support.
- The browser can be used as a feed reader to save RSS and Atom feeds.
- It has the ability to stack and tile tabs, annotate web pages, and add notes to bookmarks.
- It supports numerous mouse gestures for actions like tab switching and keyboard activation
- It supports hibernation for both individual tabs and for tab stacks, hence freeing resources while the user does not actively use those tabs.
- It has translate features that can translate any web page with a single click with a built-in, private translation tool.
- Have a user with sudo privileges.
- Have Ubuntu 22.04 up and running.
- Have basic knowledge of terminal
Install Vivaldi browser on Ubuntu 22.04
1. Update system repositories
To start installing Vivaldi, we can first make our repositories up to date by doing an update and upgrade where necessary.
sudo apt update && apt upgrade -y
2. Import public GPG key
We need to import a public GPG key in order to allow for the verification of apt packages in our system. To import it we are going to use the wget command on our terminal
wget -qO- https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/linux_signing_key.pub | gpg --dearmor | sudo dd of=/usr/share/keyrings/vivaldi-browser.gpg
3. Add Vivaldi repository
After the GPG key has been added we need to add the Vivaldi repository to our own repository on Ubuntu.
echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/vivaldi-browser.gpg arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture)] https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb/ stable main" | sudo dd of=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi-archive.list
4. Install Vivaldi on Ubuntu 22.04
To install Vivaldi first run the system update and then run install.
$ sudo apt update Ign:6 https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb stable InRelease Get:7 https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb stable Release [3,840 B] Get:8 https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb stable Release.gpg [833 B] Get:9 https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb stable/main amd64 Packages [1,773 B] Fetched 277 kB in 3s (91.2 kB/s) Reading package lists... Done
After the update is complete, run the installation command.
$ sudo apt install vivaldi-stable
You will see the output like this.
Output The following NEW packages will be installed: vivaldi-stable 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 87.8 MB of archives. After this operation, 309 MB of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb stable/main amd64 vivaldi-stable amd64 5.2.2623.41-1 [87.8 MB] Fetched 87.8 MB in 22s (3,970 kB/s) Selecting previously unselected package vivaldi-stable. (Reading database ... 210907 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack .../vivaldi-stable_5.2.2623.41-1_amd64.deb ... Unpacking vivaldi-stable (5.2.2623.41-1) ... Setting up vivaldi-stable (5.2.2623.41-1) ... update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable to provide /usr/bin/x-www-bro wser (x-www-browser) in auto mode update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable to provide /usr/bin/gnome-www -browser (gnome-www-browser) in auto mode update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable to provide /usr/bin/vivaldi ( vivaldi) in auto mode Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1ubuntu3) ... Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu3) ... Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) ...
To start using the browser go to the dock and click show applications and search for Vivaldi in the search bar.
We have successfully installed Vivaldi browser, you can now enjoy your privacy while browsing.